Monday, April 30, 2007

EVICTION NOTICE NO MORE!!

After a grueling 3 days of applications, resumes, and applications across town I was offered a job Friday. I am the future office administrator for a Lutheran Church here in town. Pretty cool huh? I was really happy when they gave me the job, because the interview was really extensive... but I decided that an open line of communication was the way to go.

Now. Some of you may be concerned with the denomination of this church. An AWESOME thing we talked about in the interview. They prefer non-members on staff. AMAZING!! This is a total 360 from my previous church j-o-b.

* entering random rant*

It amazes me the close-minded-ness of many churches in today's society. People believe that their way is the only way to Heaven or the only "correct" way to live your life. You have GOT to be kidding me.

I have a HUGE passion for God's work and I am daily reminded of the wonderful things Christ did for my life, but to believe that my interpretation of God's word is the ONLY way to see it is unfathomable to me.

Bottom line: Jesus Christ was the Son of God who came to this world, led a blameless life, DIED for my sins, and rose again on the 3rd day.

That being said: I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to help serve God (in whichever way I might) and help these people do their work for God even though it may not be the way that I worship and acknowledge God.

I loved my previous job, but I really think this area was a tremendous struggle for them. Only in that it was EXPECTED that staff be fully active members and volunteers in the church. I loved that church and their vision, but I LOVED the church I attended and learned so much on a weekly basis from that church. I never felt comfortable feeling "pressure" to convert to their belief system or interpretation on some things in the word. Also, the pressure from being the only staff member to come on board that WASN'T a member was felt the entirety of my employment (but that's a totally diff story)

The pastor I will be working for has already expressed to me his vision for his church and how excited he is to have fresh "outside" eyes to help with their ministry. I love it. I am so excited for it, and now Ab can take the eviction notice off of my door.

5 comments:

Dusty said...

Congrats on the j-o-b. I hope your church allies keep you and Ab safe from any "burnings in the bosom" and "knowing the [LDS] Church is true."

At a Lutheran church, you should also get a chance to practice German.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job. Sounds like it will be a bit better than you previous place. If nothing else, I'm sure it would be nice to meet new friends. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am really excited for you and Ab in your new life together! I talked to one of your new bosses today - she seems really cool. Good sense of humor. Made an odd comment about pastors needing to be shamans which made me laugh ;) Thank you for the help your provided in the development of me as a leader. Whether you know it or not, you really helped me figure out what I was trying to/needed to do many times. Thanks again for being, well, you!

LoriLoo310 said...

That's so awesome! Which church is it? If its downtown we could meet for lunch sometimes.

Benjamin said...

You realize that your argument is broad enough to cover MORmONS, as well... Nonetheless, I agree with you, stipulating that you add to your bottom line that native americans are not displaced Israelites.