Sunday, April 15, 2007

Good Friday... Who Knew?

I figured that we would start with the wedding weekend, this being the first post and all. Subsequent posts will be penned by either myself or Brandi, and the topics will most likely lack continuity. Let us begin...

After it was all said and done, I asked Brandi if the wedding weekend went the way she wanted it to. She said that it did, and for that I was extremely thankful. My experience was a little different than hers, so the last thing I needed while being mentally tormented was "bridezilla" making an appearance.

I will begin by saying that I am NOT superstitious. I may wear rally caps in the ninth and avoid stepping on cracks, but I would hardly consider that driven by superstition. Forget that I wear my socks inside out on odd calendar days and please ignore me if I throw a fit because there is a red sky in the morning. Since I am clearly not superstitious, I don't need to explain to you that "bad omens" are easy to ignore... or are they?

I got up on Friday cocked, locked, and ready to rock. It was about 4 in the morning, so of course I had plenty of time to make my 6 o'clock flight. But wait. What's this? Oh nothing... its just a line at the security checkpoint that is literally 4.23 football fields long (really... I measured). Without agonizing over details, I almost missed the flight to my wedding. I boarded at 5:57. Wheels were down at 12:15 in Tulsa and it was snowing. Just to be clear, it was about 67 degrees in Utah and it was snowing in Tulsa. Brandi picked me up at the airport and off we went to the Tulsa County Courthouse to get a marriage license. You know? Those little pieces of paper that make a marriage legal. The courthouse was "Closed in observance of Good Friday." I made my best efforts not to make eye contact with Brandi because I was sure that she would be a ball of fire, but there she was as calm as ever. Meanwhile, I was going out of my damn mind! First the line at the airport, then the snow, and now this. Great! We can get married, but we can't. She did her best to calm me, but the dam had been breached. I was unbelievably pissed. Then, we decided to go to Taco Bueno since there aren't any in Utah. The beverage machine was out of Diet Coke. How many omens can one man take?!? The phone rings... "Ab, its Dad, Aaron is sick and he might not be able to sing at the wedding." CLICK. As I made my way to the table with a few little cups of salsa, Brandi hit my elbow and knocked the salsa to the floor. Good Friday my ass! I was getting ready to throw up my hands and wave the white flag when Brandi's phone rang. Thank God for Diahanna George. She had investigated through her various channels to find us a courthouse that was open on Good Friday. We made it to Sapulpa with about 15 minutes to spare and got our marriage license! Things were starting to turn around.

We had a great rehearsal and the dinner was fantastic. The details of the bachelor party are on a strict need to know basis, and frankly, none of you need to know. The day of the wedding was wonderful, even though my ass was doing hula hoops around my stomach. Brandi was stunning in her dress and Mitch did a great job with the ceremony. I also gained a new respect for the bride and groom at receptions. It is easier to pass a kidney stone than to make it around to every single guest and talk to them. All in all, it was a perfect weekend. I warded off all of the bad omens that were attacking my non-superstitious ass, and made it to the altar. I couldn't have asked for anything more. The only thing, in my opinion, that was better than the wedding was the honeymoon...

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

Writing was top notch! "Cocked, locked, and ready to rock" an hysterical bout of laughter ensued. I think that a comment like that deserves a "Hoo-rah!" (Jarheads, not Scent of a Woman) I am eagerly anticipating this blog as a test to my wit. Great idea, guys!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you both! Ab I'm so glad you were smart enough to marry my girl. I love this blog thing too, smart one Brandi.